Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Gardens!









What can I say besides I think I bit off more than I could chew! I started off a "little" behind (i.e. the weeds had a huge jumpstart since they moved in before I did!) but I am starting to feel like we may be on an even playing field soon! I have however been working 12 hour days since I got here to try to get to that point! We have enjoyed fresh carrots, peas, lettuce, spinach, beets, radishes, turnips(which we decided we didn't like!) thus far. Our red onions from sets were a bust and red potatoes are curing in the basement - should be ready to eat in a week and a half. We have tomatoes, sweet corn, green beans, black beans, okra, watermelon, peppers, pumpkins, summer squash, acorn squash, and cucumbers planted. We have found that our new garden, where all of the tomatoes and warm season crops are does not drain worth a darn. I have lost quite a few tomato plants as we have had a lot of rain this spring and early part of summer. Good thing Daniel's dad and I put in around 225 tomato plants to start with! Live and Learn is our new motto out here!

Our intention was to have enough produce to sell at the farmers market! Hasn't quite happened yet - I thought I was putting in way more than enough, but as this is my first time to grow anything other than tomatoes, I've learned that I really planted enough to feed about 6 people. Hopefully the tomatoes and summers crops will come through and we can still go to the farmers market!

We had a lot of work to do to get the new garden ready for planting so there is a picture of where it started and where it was a few weeks ago.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Girl! You and the veggies look awesome! The downstairs 1st and 5th grades got flooded so we have something in common with your garden ;) Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Friend! Looks like a TON of work! I am so impressed! I love the farmhouse, will be amazing when it is done. Maybe someday you can teach me to garden, Clara would love it. She sends hugs!
    Joy

    ReplyDelete